Monday, May 23

less than 48 hours

i never felt like i would reach this point.
the time that marked that i have just one more day left in Europe and a full day of flying until I am back on US soil.

i am sitting quite comfortably on my friend Ian's grandmother's couch-- in the Hackney burrough of London-- right in the very very veeeeeerrry orthodox jew neighborhood. Ians family has lived on this street for nearly 60 years and his sweet grandmother lives in a BEAUTIFUL old townhome.  She is 86 and with a group of her friends in Malta right now.  So its just me, Ian and his girlfriend Carrie.  I am so so so unbelievably happy to be here and so fortunate that they let me stay here with them. Having one place to stay for more than 30 hours where I can actually move and do things freely without locking them in a locker first-- is a godsend-- also -- not having to sleep in any more airports-- is just beyond amazing.

so it has been a while since i have been able to update-- but here's whats been going on in my crazy and last few days in Europe.

The last time I posted, I was leaving Spain and sitting at the Stansted airport this time instead of Gatwick. Wahoo. Switchin it up. This time, I was able to get a nice little space on a sofa in a coffee shop. It was loud and not really that comfortable-- but it wasnt the floor of the airport-- so it was luxurious.  My flight was at 8:55am and I flew into Shannon Airport-- I did some research before I left-- but not as much as I had liked to-- thank God there was a very nice Irish couple on the plane with me who gave me lots of helpful information (although it was through much difficulty that I was able to determine what they were actually saying-- those Irish accents are NOT easy) they told me the best thing to do when I arrived-- was leave Shannon as there is nothing there but the airport-- which is the closest airport to America (interesting) .. so I did as they suggested and boarded a bus in the direction of Cork.  Unfortunately a pitstop in Galway to see the Cliffs of Mohr was just out of the question as it was not within a day's journey to appreciate it fully.
All of the extremely nice Irish folks suggested that I head to Cork but pitstop at the Bunratty Castle-- a Medieval Castle and town built in the 1400s and thriving today as a tourist site and homage to the wayward times of the Irish culture.  I stopped there - paid 10euros and the lady let me leave my giant backpack while i walked around the grounds.  It was a beautiful beautiful day and i really enjoyed walking around by myself-- reading all the history and laughing at all the little Irish kids who were there visitng on a fieldtrip.

I didnt stay long but jumped on the next train towards Cork-- decided to hop off in Limerick-- again, knowing nothing really of the town-- just had heard the name-- i also had to mail a 2 kilo package of clothes home due to the fact that my back was breaking and RyanAir was trying really hard to get me to pay 40euros to check the bag. NO WAY JOSE. so i wanted to see a little of Limerick but hunger took precedence and I stopped into an Irish pub for a Guinness and some chips, of course! I sat there and relished in the atmosphere while watching Queen Elizabeth herself wander around the English Market down in Cork.  Pretty boring considering all she did was walk around the food stalls while everyone gushed at her.. what a life that would be ..

After finishing up-- I didnt want to carry my backpack all the way through town and so I jumped back on the bus for Cork.  I had arranged to stay with friends of friends there-- and when I got there-- Eoin (pronounced owen) picked me up and took me to his house he shares with 2 friends.  They were Irish as they come and just the most hospitable, welcoming and funny guys I have ever met.  They saved me their couch, and another girl was visiting too and so we immediately all hit it off- swapping stories and tellin jokes and such. 

One thing that has been hitting me pretty hard lately-- is that the types of conversations I am able to participate in.  Most Europeans my age, have been and done some incredible things (glacier surfing in Iceland and snorkeling in Thailand) but to be able to participate and say things like -- where the best place in Milan is for pizza-- how to get to the best beaches in the south of France or what country has the best nightlife-- is incredible to me.  At first I was jealous of all the Europeans I met, and other nationalities as well, who have done and seen so much of the world-- not realizing how quickly I have been able to join this special club. 

Speaking of clubs... French is the language of sophistication.. royalty .. finance.. and it is also spoken by fewer and fewer portions of the world.  It is still the official language of the Olympics, UN and EU, France and her colonies-- both present and former-- and is still widely acknowledged as a language of affinity. Hence, there is not a large number of Americans who speak it-- or so I am told by every French person I encounter- no matter how brief.  No matter where I am-- especially since May 15th when I left France-- If i overhear people speaking French and they look nice enough and like they wont be offended/creeped out by my friendliness-- then I start a conversation with them-- Parlez- vous français? .. i do this because 1) i miss France so so so so much and hearing it when im traveling in Spain, Ireland, etc.. makes me feel closer to it 2) I am incapable of not being friendly 3) i want to keep my french going-- and speaking it is the best way to do it 4)why not do it? .... so on the metro in London, on the river bridge in Sevilla, in my hostel.. on the steps of Trafalgar Square and dozens of other places .. I have commenced conversations with fellow francophones.  they dont last very long usually-- just oh where are you from? im American, just finished my studies, I love France, I miss France, I study International Business, yes of course I will return to France, etc... -- but every time they always are so complimentary and friendly (disproving all stereotypes of rude Frenchies) and they always tell me how impressed they are because so few Americans speak French-- and thus, I feel so honored to be in this special little club-- worthy of French praise-- :)

i am incapable of staying awake past like 11-- sleep cycles are going to be so off when I go home--- but I willhave lots of time to write tomorrow!! Well maybe-- its my last day in Europe-- we'll see!